Top LatAm E-Commerce Sites: 47.4% of Latin American Internet Users Buy on MercadoLibre, Only 16.6% Prefer Amazon
What: We looked at the most-frequently visited retail websites in Latin America, and particularly in Mexico, in February.
Why it matters: Even though Amazon is expanding in Latin America, it's still second to Mercado Libre, the biggest online retailer in Latin America.
As retail online grows, e-commerce sites have to engage in fierce competition. Amazon is steadily increasing its relevance in Latin America, but it still has a long way to go if it wishes to reach Mercado Libre. As Amazon goes on with its plans to expand in Brazil, we'll see how tendencies change in the next months.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Latin America, February 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||190,287|
- From the total amount of Latin Americans with internet access in February, 2018, 62% visited e-commerce sites.
- 47.4% of those Latin Americans made their online purchases at Mercado Libre.
- In comparison, Amazon has a long way to go with 16.6%.
- 15.7% of users visited B2W Digital, not too far behind Amazon.
- Alibaba was visited by 10.9% of users.
- 8.3% of internet users looking for e-commerce sites visited eBay.
- CNova received 7% of visits.
- Apple.com and Wal-mart received similar amounts of visitors, 6.5% and 6.1% respectively.
- 5.8% of users visited Google Shopping.
- Buscape Company was visited by 5% of users.
Top 10 E-Commerce Sites in Mexico, February 2018
|Total Audience, Home and Work, PC/Laptop, All Smartphones, All tablets||Total Unique Visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: Total Audience||68,613|
- 62% of Mexicans with Internet access went shopping online in February.
- Out of those users, 38% made their purchases on Mercado Libre.
- 21% of users preferred to buy on Amazon.
- Linio Sites received 20% of visits.
- eBay, with 15.9%, and Wal-mart with 15.7%, are at almost the same level of popularity among Mexicans.
- Wish.com opens the second half of the list with 9.6%.
- 9.2% of e-commerce consumers visited Ticketmaster.
- Alibaba.com received 7.6% of visitors.
- 7.2% of users visited the website of Mexican store COPPEL.
- Samsung Group closes the list with 6.4%.